A Word on All That

Give thanks, with a grateful heart...give thanks to the Holy one.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Weed, California, United States

I'm 52 and just feel like I'm getting started. My wife and I have been happily married for almost 24 years. My job is providing technology integration services to local schools. That means I work on computers and teach teachers and students how to use technology in their teaching and learning, etc. God has been doing a new work in my life, and I'm excited to be following Him.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Response of Our Hearts to the Kingdom of God

I've been reading & listening the past week to the story of God's bringing Israel out of Egypt. I've pondered the different verses that talk about God hardening Pharoah's heart and also Pharoah responding to events with a "hardened heart." It brings to mind the Parable of the Sower (Mark 4:1-20, Matthew 13:1-23, and Luke 8:1-15) and the "soil conditions" that our hearts have when the K.O.G. (Kingdom of God) meets us through events or God's Word. This parable speaks volumes to our response to God.

It was Pharoah's response to the K.O.G. confronting him that hardened his heart. God knows Pharoah is proud. He isn't about to let another kingdom reign or rule him, so his response is the rejection of God's kingdom. To me, this is a warning to us that when God, (the King) and ruler of the spiritual kingdom we're a part of, engages us through circumstances, through His Word, & through others, we need to look at our responses to Him and see if we're desiring to rule over our hearts, or if we're going to let Him have His rightful place. That means yielding to Him, really trusting Him and His ways. I don't think I want to be in the position of God having to break me to submit to Him. That's the eventual outcome of self-reliance. God allows us to experience the consequences of our self-reliance, and it often isn't pretty. I often find myself saying, "Now how did I end up here again?"

I'm the kind of person that struggles with trying to figure things out, because I'm a problem-solver, a fixer. I also like to look good before others...not physically speaking, but performance-wise. I also like to feel knowledgeable (Knowledge is power, right?). It's the illusion of control that the world has sucked us into. For me, it was the need for approval that set me on this path. For Pharoah, it's keeping his status intact. He's not going to give Moses (or God) the satisfaction of humbling him, make him take a course of action that defies the policies and treatment of the Jews that has become a part of the fabric of the culture. They're just an enslaved people group. I mean, the Egyptians detest the Israelites (except for the work they provide). And Pharoah isn't going to bow his knee without being forced to. Why would he? He is Pharoah, ruler of Egypt. He needs a wakeup call, so God uses Pharoah's stubborn pride to demonstrate His amazing power. And with power He acts. But Pharoah really is stubborn...I mean, how much punishment does one need to get it? I guess the answer to that is, some more than others. How much do you have to see before you recognize, there is a power far greater than your own that is available to you!

The more I trust in myself (pride) and not allow God to take His rightful place, the more I'm on the road to hardening my heart. How far down that road do I really want to go? God desires me to respond in humility, living with my limitations and in His Power. When God makes it clear that He will make the people in Canaan tremble because of what He has done to "mighty Pharoah," and then goes to the length of parting the waters of the Red Sea to help Israel escape difficulty, what is their response? They suddenly stop walking in trust and are paralyzed with fear, until God says, "Choose the Egyptian army or walk through the Red Sea." I want to ask myself, what is my response? Do I walk the path He has opened up for me, or live in fear and become paralyzed to move in the truth God has revealed to me? Will my heart be receptive...softened up...to hear God's voice and be soothed and assured that His strength is with me? Will I rely on the godly people God has placed in my life for encouragement? Or am I too proud to open up (PRIDE), and harden myself to the vehicle God has given me for blessing, the Body of Christ?

James 4:6-8 (New International Version)

6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble."[a]

7Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.



"God, you want to act on my behalf, to restore me and heal me from the ravages of sin in my life. I'm often fearful that if I let you fight my battles, that I will feel weak and out of control. Instead, I believe that You want me to discover the FREEDOM there in trusting You and not relying on others or myself to make things better. Help me not to lean on my limited understanding. Sure, I need to move and walk the narrow path, but in the end, You're the One that keeps me on the path of righteousness. Help soften my the soil of my heart...help me be responsive to Your voice. Lord, I want my heart to be Yours. Thank you for revealing truth to me that I can live by and have the certainty of Your presence in my life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home