A Word on All That

Give thanks, with a grateful heart...give thanks to the Holy one.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Weed, California, United States

I'm 52 and just feel like I'm getting started. My wife and I have been happily married for almost 24 years. My job is providing technology integration services to local schools. That means I work on computers and teach teachers and students how to use technology in their teaching and learning, etc. God has been doing a new work in my life, and I'm excited to be following Him.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Grieving for What Has Been Lost


Today is the second anniversary of a devastating event that occurred in our family. We're not celebrating it, we're grieving it. One of our girls was victimized. And we know she's grieving today what was lost...what was taken away. The evil of one man has changed her life forever. Every year on this day there will be the memories and it will present thoughts and feelings deeper than on any other day. We know that over time God will soften the blow and much of the sorrow we feel today will be replaced with other things. But for now, I want my precious daughter to know that today we know her grief is real, it's deep, and there is nothing wrong about it. Cry and sob and talk. It's not over yet, and although others may not understand that, it's true. But the hope is someday, the grief will lessen and its power will subside. But today is NOT that day.

I was speaking with friends yesterday and commenting on how when our children leave home, we feel so vulnerable as parents. Our opportunities to protect and comfort are much different, and there is a sense of helplessness. We have to turn our helplessness over to God in trust, knowing our loving God has them in His hands. How on days like this I want to be right there to put my arms around my girl and comfort her. Instead, I'm limited to the telephone, to a text message, to prayer...not that those things don't help, but they just aren't the same...they're at a distance. So we pray for our dear girl, that God will bring His comfort through His Spirit, that she'll be reminded of His love for her, that there is hope, and that He will bring people today that she can talk to and openly grieve with and be comforted. God is not offended that we want or need physical presence & comfort from someone with skin...He was good at providing that for many during His days. Aren't you glad for that? He does understand. Today, His heart is touched by our grief, and I love Him for that. Thank you, Jesus.

Psalm 119:76-77 (New International Version)

76 May your unfailing love be my comfort,
according to your promise to your servant.

77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live,
for your law is my delight.

2 Corinthians 1:2-4 (New International Version)

2Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles...

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 (New Living Translation)

16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope, 17 comfort you and strengthen you in every good thing you do and say.

1 Comments:

Blogger hannah_jayne said...

I love you so much, Dad. It has been hard to be away from you and mom as well. I am so thankful to have such Godly, loving parents. :-) xoxo's. talk with you soon. have a great day!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home