A Word on All That

Give thanks, with a grateful heart...give thanks to the Holy one.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Weed, California, United States

I'm 52 and just feel like I'm getting started. My wife and I have been happily married for almost 24 years. My job is providing technology integration services to local schools. That means I work on computers and teach teachers and students how to use technology in their teaching and learning, etc. God has been doing a new work in my life, and I'm excited to be following Him.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

If Necessary, Use Words

Last week, I had the opportunity to attend a
dinner where one of my good friends, Mike Hendryx,
a good friend of mine, was recently recognized
as "Citizen of the Year" for Yreka, CA. He is one of those humble servants of God who loves to serve, but not be put in the spotlight for people to say, "See what Mike has done." He serves God using his gifts and talents in ways that benefit those in his family, church, and community. Mike is a curator of the local museum, but that sometimes feels like his side job as he has tremendous gifts in art, design, and music, that are used in many arenas, including the museum. It would take pages (a list of two pages were read at his dinner) to describe the many things he has done. Speech after speech recognized him for not only his commitment and resolve in his work, but how he inspired others because of his character and his love for God and others. His daughter, Emily, wrote a very touching letter that spoke of how she had become and was becoming who she was because of her dad's influence. She is studying music at the Master's College because of her dad, and to her, the more important thing was that her dad's character and spiritual example. There was hardly a dry eye in the audience. The power of Mike's life and love in her life was a testimony to what God has done through my friend. I wondered what my own daughters would say about me if someone asked them how I had influenced them. One phrase that caught my attention was, "I feel fortunate to have Mike call me his friend." I think all of us who know Mike feel that way. He is such a dear friend and is so encouraging to those around him. His passion for serving Christ is evident to all of us. The power of his testimony, his witness, has changed us.

"Preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

How many sermons have you preached without even knowing it? We are called, as Christians, to bring the love and peace of Christ into the world not only with our lips, but also in our lives.


A story of St. Francis of Assisi...

One day Francis said to one of the young monks, “Let us go down into the town and preach!” They passed through the main streets, turned down many of the byways and alleys, made their way into the suburbs, and at great length, returned by a circuitous route to the monastery gate. As they approached the gate, the younger monk reminded Francis of his original intention.

“You have forgotten, Father, that we went to the town to preach!”

“My son,” Francis replied, “we have preached. We were preaching while we were walking. We have been seen by many; our behavior has been closely watched; it was thus that we have preached our morning sermon. It is of no use to walk anywhere to preach unless we preach everywhere as we walk.”


Read the verses below, and it is evident that Jesus revealed God to us not only through His words (which we often put the emphasis on), but through the power of His life. What people saw in Jesus's life was powerful and drew them to what He had to say. May that be true for us, as well. May people say, "What I have seen in your life has shown me God. Tell me more." Amen.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

"In him was life, and that life was the light of men." John 1:4

"The true light that gives light to every man
was coming into the world." John 1:9


"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling
among us.
We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

"Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" John 14:9

"...and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:44, 45

1 Comments:

Blogger Lois said...

Hi Sweetheart! Happy Father's Day! It is my prayer that someday each of our girls finds a husband as kind and loving as you. You have set the bar high for them. Thank you for being such a great dad!

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home